Thursday, October 06, 2005

Wait 'Til You're Older

I am not a big fan of Andy Lau, but the company I work for is a sponsor of the movie. Many colleagues went to the premiere show and came back with very positive comments. The movie looked promising enough, so I went anyway.

With no gangsters, crimelords, nor gamblers, I am surprised to see such a high calibre Hong Kong movie like this one. Years ago, Kwong's mother commited suicide because his father fell in love with another women. Since then the kid had been living with the stepmother, and refused to communicate with his parents. He hated his parents. He wanted to be free from them. He wanted to grow up. One day he met an old alchemist in the park and witnessed the effects of the old man's new invention: a magical growth potion. He stole the potion and became an adult after just one night's sleep. How could he live in his new shell? Could he forgive his parents for the mistakes they made? Or, could he ask the forgiveness of his parents for his childishness?

Families and friends, misunderstanding and forgiveness. These are not common themes in local movies, but it had been wrapped up very well. They might have borrowed a few ideas from Big Fish, I guess. Your parents but not tell you every truth, but if they don't, they are probably doing you good. Not that I would change my attitudes towards my father though.

Impressions on Wait 'Til You're Older: 7/10

0 comments: