Saturday, March 25, 2006

Favourite song of the day, Aimee Mann, gender studies(!)

My favourite song of the day is "One".

As I have previously mentioned, I have vastly enjoyed the Fox TV series House when it was showing on AXN. When I knew TVB Pearl bought the show's local broadcasting rights, I followed closely and made sure I will not miss what I previously missed. Last Tuesday, season 1 episode 3 "Occam's Razor" was aired. What was Occam's Razor? According to Wikipedia:

... in explaining a phenomenon, one should make as few assumptions as possible, trimming away all unnecessary ones. ... Furthermore, if multiple theories or subtheories have equal predictive power, the simplest one — the one with the fewest unnecessary assumptions — should be chosen.
The liberal interpretation of the term "One" in the episode was probably as interesting as the show itself. It was being applied to medical explanations, with the simplest being the best. It was also somehow related to Dr House, who was always seen alone and disassociated. At the end of the show, we could see him, by himself again, searching through the drug cabinet for the one colchicine tablet that resembled the shape of Brandon's round yellow cough medicine. When we were seeing House's victorious smile, the background music was a song by Three Dog Night. While I certainly have not heard of this band before, I have listened to this song once. 7 years ago. In the cinema. I even have the soundtrack. The movie was Magnolia. Written by Harry Nilsson in 1968, renewed and sung by one of my favourite singers of all time, Aimee Mann, the name of the song was "One".

While most pop songs talk about the same problems in life, Aimee's songs has a slightly different attitude. By listening to her soothing voice, it makes me feel relieved of whatever problems I previously had. One can fall asleep and have good dreams even in the most depressing moments. It is magical in the sense that she looks more like a New Age healer than a singer.

But there are always things that I missed. Forrest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." The Schödinger's cat experiment told us that the cat is neither living nor dead until you open the box. (this is my interpretation as a non-phyicist) I would never have known what I was going to find until I clicked the Google search button either. On the net I found an article discussing Aimee Mann Lyrics And Gendered Language Patterns:
Tannen believes that men and women often go about asking for things in different ways. While men speak directly in order to obtain a desired goal, women may tend to indirectly refer to what they want in hopes that the listener will then ask her about what she wants.
...
Gossip is a fear mainly among women, who like to share details of their life with close friends but are very hurt when they realize that these details have been shared with others.
Is it possible that one talks about different matters using a different language? Looking back I might be using a masculine language on professional matters related to jobs, studies and gaming, and a different feminine tongue otherwise. Sometimes I would be blunt and direct, and sometimes I would be so subtle that I confuse myself. I am a Gemini afterall.


Finally, lyrics to the song One, which was what this post was originally about:
One is the loneliest number
That you'll ever do
Two can be as bad as one, it's the loneliest number since the number one
"No" is the saddest experience you'll ever know
Yes, it's the saddest experience you'll ever know
Because one is the loneliest number
That you'll ever do
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever know

2 comments:

At 25 March, 2006 20:36 , dino said...

咁悲慘既歌詞, 但你聽後仍會覺得慰藉.
睇黎一個人獨處One, 確實係the lonelinest no. that u'll ever do

At 28 March, 2006 01:29 , hokuto said...

我的心水歌也不一定是我心情寫照呀。其實是這樣的…

跟其他歌手不同,Aimee Mann的歌永遠都是一個一個的故事。每個故事聽起來都是那樣真實,但那永遠是別人的故事。聽其他悲歌,(K歌都是悲歌多吧)總會有個印像,作詞的在寫的就是我的故事,他/她在說我心裡的說話。然後就掉落一個一個的旋渦,心情隨歌詞往下沉。Aimee的則只是『一個跟我差不多的故事』。很玄嗎?其實我也不太明白。

你真有興趣聽嗎?我send不到那麼大的email。有興趣的話借CD你吧。每次出CD聽也不聽立即買的歌手,只她跟何韻詩(何韻詩的歌也開始不合我了)

PS 今天的心水歌是That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart (www.aimeemann.com有試聽)

I drew a picture of you, you and your anchor tattoo; and saw the face that I knew covered in shame. You drew a bird that was here, a kind of sweet chanticleer - but with a terrible fear that the cage couldn't tame. That's how I knew this story would break my heart, when you wrote it. That's how I knew this story would break my heart. So, like a ghost in the snow, I'm getting ready to go. Because babay, that's all I know - how to open the door. And though the exit is crude, it saves me coming unglued for when you're not in the mood for the gloves and the canvas floor. That's how I knew this story would break my heart... when you wrote it.