Friday, September 02, 2005

My ratings formula

When I make movie recommendations to friends, either because they asked me about advices, or if I was selling some movies that I thought too good to be missed, I am often asked what does a "8-point" movie mean.

I started logging and rating movies at IMDB since 2004. I have now rated 64 titles. I intentionally scale my ratings such that the median score is not higher than 6. I try also to be as objective as possible, but movie is a form of art. I am never good at arts, and I believe there is always a personal preference in deciding what is good and bad, and it could not be purely objective.

The ratings here might be slightly different to the rating on IMDB because IMDB does not allow half point scores. So, my rating system:

  • 10 points means "perfect".I have never given any movie this score.
  • 9 points: exceptionally good. There might be some very minor flaws, but it must have a good cast, a good and often unusual plot, nice music, and the cinematography must be visually appealing. I may consider viewing the movie again if time and money allows. I would also start persuading everyone to see it.
  • 7-8 points: good to very-good. There are often some very strong merits. On my recommended list if someone so asks. I may also talk about it to closer friends.
  • 5-6 points: not-so-bad. I found that I have a stronger temper than before. As a side effect my emotions against movies are also stronger, and I have been giving fewer movies this rating. This may change.
  • 3-4 points: mediocre. I don't really usually regret having seen it, but it is something that I would have watched only if I had lots of time.
  • 1-2 points: it was a mistake watching it. Since I am not a film critic I am not obliged to see bad movies, and I would usually avoid them at the first place. Mistakes do happen from time to time, however.
There is usually a minor penalty if I don't speak the language they use in the movies.

What movies got what ratings?
For different reasons, Matchstick Men, Girl with a Pearl Earring and Finding Neverland scored 9. Recent movies which deserved 8 include Sin City and Tian xia wu zei (天下無賊). I gave 4 to Land of the Dead and House of Wax. The Touch was the only movie that had such a low rating as a 2.

P.S. I wanted to take an arts appreciation course at the Arts Centre when time allows.

1 comments:

At 14 September, 2005 16:32 , Anonymous said...

i aint sure about the others, but to me, Tain xia wu zei would be around 6-7.

Its message is clear, yet probably too obvious and repetitive, with a predictable plot.

One thing I did learn from the ending - never be a good man, it'll cause your death!