Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Red Eye

I watched Red Eye tonight. Rachel McAdams is so cute, and Cillian Murphy sexy. What else do you want from a B-movie?

More about the movie and the plot: It's just 80 minutes, fairly short for a movie these years, even for a thriller. The plot is not very good but also not bad. I have seen worse this year, say, House of Wax and Cursed.

Half of the movie is about the Lisa (McAdams) and Jack (Murphy) sitting in the plane cabin. Thanks to the two brilliant actors, I can really feel the tension and the emotions. What I hate the most about teen-horror movies are that the actors usually sucks. Lots of blood, lots of screams, and that's all.

[Spoiler alert]

Back to the plot. When the boy said he lost a pen, I would have expected something smarter. Maybe Lisa wrote hints on a piece of toilet paper, in addition to writing on the mirror? Perhaps the smart-looking little girl went to the toilet and told her mom about the mysterious writings he found in the toilet? None of them happened. The director spent lots of time shooting the many characters who had nothing (nothing important, at least) with the plot, that's not very good. After getting off the plane things get straight-forward. The usual kill-him-or-die stuff. It is however already much better than the bunch of thrillers. And I love thrillers.

Cillian Murphy is also in 2 of my favourite movies: 28 Days Later and Batman Begins. He is a talented young actor and will be on my watch list. McAdams is surely a much better actress than the usual "chicks" in thrillers. They both did a good job, and I look forward to seeing them in future movies. By the way I think she looks a little bit like Jennifer Garner in this movie.

First impressions on Red Eye: 7/10

I also watched the Best of Youth last week at Cine Art Cinema. Impressions on the Best of Youth: 8/10

0 comments: